Brian and I have been to Houston to see some stuff before we had kids. We've also spent time in San Antonio and Austin, all before kids. San Antonio has been on our list to visit again with our kids, but I never thought about returning to Houston just for the kids' stuff. But now I think it would be fun! Our kids would probably love the Space Center.
In the big scheme of vacation planning, we can only afford to go somewhere far once a year. But I'd also like to squeeze in a small, local Texas trip once a year, too. Our school district has a couple of 3-day weekends surrounding teacher work days, and we also have the entire week of Thanksgiving off, so in addition to the summer that gives us a few "off-season" times to accomplish these weekend trips. (I'm not a fan of doing anything during Spring Break in Texas since the entire state has the same Spring Break and everything is super crowded!)
So I've started a Texas Weekend Trip wish list:
* Houston--Aquarium, kids museum, Space Center
* San Antonio--Sea World, Riverwalk, Schlitterbahn
* Glen Rose--Dinosaur Valley State Park, Dino World, Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
* Galveston--Moody Gardens, the beach
* Port Aransas--ocean stuff
* Great Wolf Lodge--we went here once when we just had our oldest son. It was a blast!
|Our son in our room at Great Wolf Lodge, Dec 2008|
* Dude Ranch--we are thinking about staying at a ranch near Wichita Falls next year during one of Brian's bike rides
* Amarillo--we will probably stay here every time we drive to Colorado to see my family. The Big Texan is not to be missed!
Have you been to any of these places? Would you recommend? What other places have you been to in Texas that you'd recommend for families? Or do you have any places you'd recommend for a couples romantic getaway (if we can ever find someone to watch all 3 of our kids?)