Thursday, April 14, 2016

Booked at last! A Cruise to the 49th State

I have been waiting for this day for a long, long time. Over six years, to be exact.

We finally booked a Disney cruise to Alaska!

Photos from Disney Cruise Line News gallery

This has been the #1 trip on my bucket list forever. From the moment I first watched a video about Disney Cruise Line, I have wanted to take that cruise to Alaska. I started planning a date a few years away when my boys would be older, and then along came our 3rd kiddo! So we delayed the Alaska trip for a few more years while we enjoyed some fabulous Caribbean cruises. But I always had in my head that we would sail to Alaska.

Ketchikan, Alaska

This week, DCL released its itineraries for the summer of 2017. We transferred our placeholders that we booked on board our last cruise to get 10% off the prevailing rate and a $200 stateroom credit per cabin. It was cheaper for us to book two lower-level cabins than it was to book one verandah room for five people, so I had booked two placeholders on our last cruise to transfer to two separate (but connecting) cabins on this cruise.

Alaska is a popular place for retirees to visit. But I don't want to wait until we retire. It is important for me to visit Alaska while we're still relatively young. I want to be able to walk, climb and fully enjoy the land before my aging body prevents me. (Also, see this post on Mommy Points).



My kids will be 6 1/2, 9 1/2 and barely 13 years old next summer when we go. I'm not sure those are the magic ages to bring kids to Alaska, but I do hope that they are interested in the nature and history of the places we visit on the cruise. 


I have lots of work to do over the next few months, including:

*  Finalizing our savings plan to pay for the cruise itself

*  Figuring out a strategy to use miles and points to fly to Vancouver, British Columbia and to stay in a hotel for a few days before the cruise

*  Researching land excursions in Alaska

*  Finding a cruise group and planning for the Fish Extender Exchange

and so much more!

But for right now, I'm just going to say:

ALASKA OR BUST!









No comments:

Post a Comment