Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Re-booking an All-inclusive Resort for a Lower Price

Earlier this year, I booked a family vacation to an all-inclusive resort in Puerto Vallarta using a combination of miles, points and cash. We had to book two rooms for our family of five, so we used Citi ThankYou points to cover the cost of one room and Barclaycard Arrival + points to help offset part of the second room.

Our trip is still a few months away, but last week I decided to check the price of our trip on the resort's website to see if it had changed. I'm not really sure why I did this, but I guess it's just a habit. I'm used to booking flights on Southwest, and I am constantly looking to see if the price went down to get a points refund or a credit for a future flight.

Well, I'm glad I checked, because the price of our second room decreased by $270. I double and triple checked to make sure I had put in the same exact dates, room type and number of people. I was surprised at this price reduction, because I had stalked the rate for months before I booked it, and it never changed.

Room rates shown with AAA discount in red


Next, I had to see if I could get the price difference refunded. While I could not adjust my reservation for the lower rate, I could cancel it and re-book at the lower price if I was willing to pay a $50 cancellation fee. That's what I did, and I still ended up coming out $220 ahead.

I checked my husband's room reservation on the Citi ThankYou travel website, but for some reason the price of his room increased. Weird.

This situation made me stop and think...how often do we book a hotel or resort and check back later to see if the price has gone down? Or how about a rental car? Hotel and rental car prices fluctuate just like airline prices do. If there is no cancellation fee, or even a low cancellation fee, it seems like a no-brainer to check for a lower price prior to a trip. Always read the fine print before you cancel and re-book to avoid any unwanted fees.

Stay vigilant, my travel friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment